Saturday, June 28, 2008

Michael Sowa

I know I've been quiet for a while, and, now that I'm finally posting again, I still don't know what to write. So, I'll amuse you with two paintings from German artist Michael Sowa, who has a knack for the whimsical and bizarre.

Is this not a hilarious yet slightly frightening image?
I love that the father and daughter look so incredibly asinine.


This is my favorite Sowa piece.
I have a little postcard of it on my bulletin board.

How did he get there? What does he think of his reflection?
The mystery remains unsolved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That first one is ... odd. The creature looks like a Totoro gone bad. (I've got him on my mind since Daniel has become obsessed with that movie - "Mei! Mei hat! Mei sleep!")

BTW I'm sorry I haven't written or postcarded; been a lot going on - off-kilter health combined with very active toddler. Will improve, I swear!

Marian

Anonymous said...

Wonderful illustrations. I love the quiet moment caught in the second one.

janjan said...

No worries, Marian. I know things can get crazy. Hope you're doing well! Daniel is too cute. I was in Japan at the Studio Ghibli museum and got to see a Totoro short with a room full of kids - it really is an experience. There was a collective "Totoro!" when he first showed up.

janjan said...

VW - yes, but I worry that the bunny is going to get caught!