Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tourist Thursday: The Scroll and Key Secret Society at Yale

This week has been so breezily pleasant that walking around campus has been a treat (I'm finally up and about). I brought my camera with me the other day, since I feel it's a shame I haven't captured more of this beautiful place. I thought I'd post here, once a week, the things I notice and admire around the grounds.

We'll start off with a secret society building (or "tomb") - not the famous Skull and Bones but its younger counterpart, the Scroll and Key. Its building is located in the heart of the campus, near the library and across the street from my own department.

This is the backdoor entrance. The tomb is on the right, with distinctive black and white striping.

Viewed from the front, the Moorish design is quite obvious (see also the gate
encircling the property in the above picture). I love the green hydrangeas!


I walked by this building a hundred times, wondering what in the world it was. There are no signs and no windows . . . I guess that should have clued me in. There are several of these tombs on campus, and this is, in my opinion, the most beautiful - although I love the fence around the Book and Snake tomb.

No comments: