Saturday, September 06, 2008

Back to School

It's only Day 3 of the semester and I'm already exhausted. And behind! But at least I have air-conditioning, ice-cream in the fridge, and no classes until Tuesday.

Here are some pics from around campus. It helps me to be more grateful to be here when I look around at the beautiful buildings.

At the side entrance of the main library. Sorta creepy, sorta cool.

Blue skies over the student commons. This building commemorates the Yale men who died in WWI - you can read "Cambrai" and "Argonne" in this picture. The Somme and Ypres are also included on the building.

The Women's Table fountain by Maya Lin (the same woman who designed the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in DC) in front of the main library. The numbers spiraling out are the number of women at Yale in each year of Yale's history. The beginning of the spiral (at the center) is a series of zeroes. The spiral ends when women finally made up half the student body.

3 comments:

Mamadou said...

I like the pictures. There is so much detail on the buildings of Yale that you can go anywhere and make little discoveries. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I love Yale, judging from my now and then visits to the art museum (Anselm Kiefer!) and of course to shop at IKEA. ... I didn't know, with your baking and all, that you'd be going back to school.
Happy new semester!

--Syl.

janjan said...

Yes, back at school. The baking thing didn't work out exactly well - more on that later.

I think I could find a new thing at Yale every time I walk through campus, if I'm attentive to my surroundings.