Tuesday, December 01, 2009

What Does She Do All Day?

I thought I'd dedicate a post to describing my daily life here, in case you're curious. Other than baking and knitting and sniffing perfumes and daydreaming about travel, I lead the life of a monk! I spend my days shut up in my fourth story apartment in Germany, straining my eyes and brain to read ancient texts. Fits the bill, right? Here's a passage I love that I read recently, from Plato's dialogue Crito. Socrates is in jail and has been condemned to death, and his friend, Crito, has been urging him to escape by night. After a lengthy debate, Socrates ends his argument against fleeing from death by saying this:

ταῦτα, φίλε ἑταῖρε Κρίτων, εὖ ἴσθι ὅτι ἐγὼ δοκῶ ἀκούειν, ὥσπερ οἱ κορυβαντιῶντες τῶν αὐλῶν δοκοῦσιν ἀκούειν, καὶ ἐν ἐμοὶ αὕτη ἠχὴ τούτων τῶν λόγων βομβεῖ καὶ ποιεῖ μὴ δύνασθαι τῶν ἄλλων ἀκούειν· ἀλλὰ ἴσθι, ὅσα γε τὰ νῦν ἐμοὶ δοκοῦντα, ἐὰν λέγῃς παρὰ ταῦτα, μάτην ἐρεῖς.

Know well, dear friend Crito, that I seem to hear these arguments, just as the frenzied worshipers of Cybele seem to hear the flutes, and the sound of these words resounds and makes me unable to hear any other. So know that so far do they seem right to me that if you should say anything besides them, you will speak in vain.


My monk's cell. It is a lovely view, though.

It was cold and foggy today - I love to watch the clouds
roll down the hills of the Philosophenweg.

Surrounding myself with things I like to look at and touch helps the tedium!
As you can see, I have a ring obsession.

Not much on the calendar. Oddly enough, that hourglass only
runs for about 45 minutes. Hmm. And more rings.
From Israel!

One of my favoritest things in my study - I bought this in Japantown, SF.
Leave it to the Japanese to create the worlds smallest colored-pencil box.
I use it to sketch out knitting projects, so I can visualize color combinations.

No comments: